Posted on: 29 August 2014
Who says that you have to use conventional methods to design the look and feel of your home? Get a little creative and set your home apart from the crowd with the help of these unique design ideas:
Play With a Little Paint
Painting your home is an obvious way to make things look fresh and new again, but there are some fun ways to use your paint that may result in a unique style you won't find in many (if any!) other houses in your area. Try one or more of these ideas:
- Paint your interior trim and walls the same color to make your ceilings look higher.
- Have a mural painted on an accent wall in the dining room.
- Paint the ceiling the color of the sky and include some clouds, balloons, and birds!
- Paint over wallpaper to create unique textures in your walls.
Color can play a role in your mood, so go with shades of blue if you want to create peace and tranquility or use purple to implement a little sophistication into your décor. Browns are also nice because they bring some of the outdoor elements indoors.
Give Your Glass an Upgrade
Many times the windows are overlooked when it comes to décor once a nice set of curtains are installed in front of them. But your windows are one of the most notable aspects of a home from the outside, so use them to your advantage to make your home unique. Consider these glass décor methods:
- Cover the windows with colored insulation film to brighten things up a little.
- Have designs etched into the corners of your windows by a professional, or do it yourself with the help of a glass etching kit.
- Have the windows painted to look like they're made of stained glass.
It's always a good idea to have any chips, cracks, or holes fixed in your windows before you design them to ensure that they don't break during the application of paint or etching.
Kick Your Knobs Up a Notch
If you were to start counting them up, you might be surprised at just how many knobs and handles you can find around your house. Making design changes to something as small as a knob can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your home. Between the knobs on your kitchen and bathroom cabinets, and the handles on your dresser and desk drawers, you've got a lot to work with. Implement some of these tips and tricks:
- Use bottle caps for the knobs in your bathroom to create a relaxed look.
- Implement large buttons on the knobs and handles in your kitchen to create a "home economic" design.
- Try using ropes as handles for your desks and dressers for a country twist.
If you're handy with wood, consider creating your own knobs and handles and staining or painting them the color of your choice. It's economic, and because each piece is handmade you can't get any more unique!
Have Fun With Your Hardwoods
Your hardwood floors are one of the most important things to consider when decorating your home because they offer so much potential. Most people simply put area rugs on their hardwoods to protect them and to hide any damage that is already there. But why not go beyond the rugs and really set your home apart from the neighbors?
The first step in any hardwood design project is to invest in hardwood floor refinishing so you have a fresh new canvas to work with. Then try some of these fun options:
- Have a mural painted in the middle of a floor that does not get a lot of foot traffic.
- Have each row of hardwood stained a different shade to create some depth.
- Etch designs into the hardwood that look like throw rugs.
Of course, you don't want to cover every inch of your hardwood with designs and décor as it can overwhelm the beauty of the floor's wood. Stick with implementing designs in just a couple of rooms to start so you can get a feel for how the changes effect the overall space. Be sure to personally take care of or hire a service like J Maintenance Co to maintain your floors.
If you really want to make a splash, add some personalized elements to your space after you've implemented some of these design ideas with family photos or your kids' artwork.Share